Sunday, December 10, 2006

Nancy Meyers completes the trifecta of Poo



Wow. I never thought Nancy Meyers could have pulled it off, but she did. Three movies in a row that really suck.

First there was What Women Want, a fake look at what goes on when an incredibly shallow man suddenly discovers what women are thinking a la an accident involving a blow-dryer dropped in the bathtub. Most people would have just died, but not Mad Max. If you think it's funny watching Mad Max wax his legs over and over again, even though he knows how bad it hurts, then this is the movie for you.

Then came Something's Gotta Give. Again, we get to see another super shallow man (Nicholson) turn himself around with the help of a woman. The characters are so unreal and so loathsome, my wife was asking me to turn off the DVD player 20 minutes in.

And now here comes The Holiday. Haven't seen it, but judging by the reviews here, here, here, here and here, I think I'll pass.

But what that means is that Nancy Meyers has made shitty three times in a row. And she's pulled down some pretty big people in the process. Nicholson, Keaton, Winslet, Law and Jack Black (who if he were playing his character from High Fidelity would no doubt refer to this movie as "sentimental crap.") No matter, I'm sure it will hit all the numbers it's supposed to and she'll get even bigger stars next time.

And when that happens, we can celebrate the quad of crap she has created. Can't wait.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Call me sentimental but I loved all 3 of those movies!