A lot of great movies are described as "timeless masterpieces." Seems a little easy and cliched to call a movie that.
At least that's what I thought until I watched On Golden Pond the other day. That movie is not a timeless masterpiece.
It won 3 Oscars in 1982 and was nominated for countless others including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Supporting Actress and so on. In 1982, the movie may have been Fonda gold, but today it's kinda corny.
So todays Top 5 Tuesday is about movies that have not weathered so well. They may have been masterpieces then, but not now.
Here are mine.
- On Golden Pond Like the story and love the setting, but the dialogue doesn't feel real and I thought Jane Fonda was truly dreadful.
- Breakin' There was a time when I wanted to make my chunky body move like a robot on a piece of cardboard. But no more.
- Dances With Wolves Bring up this movie and Goodfellas at the same time and see which one you talk about longer.
- Batman Tell me you don't cringe a little when Jack Nicholson walks into an art gallery blasting Prince on a Boom Box and defaces works of art with florescent paint.
- Titanic Now that technology has advanced and the crash isn't as amazing as it once was, doesn't this seem like a teen flick? And I would argue that this was never a masterpiece, but it sure did make a lot of people pretty giddy.