Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Top 5 Tuesdays (T5T) Weathered And Tattered

A lot of great movies are described as "timeless masterpieces." Seems a little easy and cliched to call a movie that.

At least that's what I thought until I watched On Golden Pond the other day. That movie is not a timeless masterpiece.

It won 3 Oscars in 1982 and was nominated for countless others including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Supporting Actress and so on. In 1982, the movie may have been Fonda gold, but today it's kinda corny.

So todays Top 5 Tuesday is about movies that have not weathered so well. They may have been masterpieces then, but not now.

Here are mine.

  1. On Golden Pond Like the story and love the setting, but the dialogue doesn't feel real and I thought Jane Fonda was truly dreadful.
  2. Breakin' There was a time when I wanted to make my chunky body move like a robot on a piece of cardboard. But no more.
  3. Dances With Wolves Bring up this movie and Goodfellas at the same time and see which one you talk about longer.
  4. Batman Tell me you don't cringe a little when Jack Nicholson walks into an art gallery blasting Prince on a Boom Box and defaces works of art with florescent paint.
  5. Titanic Now that technology has advanced and the crash isn't as amazing as it once was, doesn't this seem like a teen flick? And I would argue that this was never a masterpiece, but it sure did make a lot of people pretty giddy.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Based on my own movie-watching experiences this weekend, I'm going to narrow this category down. These are movies that I once loved. Unfortunately, I can no longer get past the clothing to focus on the movie.

1. Moonstruck
2. Working Girl
3. About Last Night
4. Breakin'
5. Pretty in Pink

TALKING MOVIEzzz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PIPER said...

You'll notice I didn't mention Breakin 2 Electric Boogaloo. That's sheer Cinema Mastery.

sammyray said...

I can definitely agree with you about "Batman." Prince was all over that movie, and in the worst possible way...

"Batdance" = worst song in history.

"Titanic" is okay. That damn Celine Dion song has as much to do with the success as anything. It's a pretty good romance to boot. Cameron does a great job of setting up the crash early on, so that when it happens, yoyr mind is ready for the information.

"Breakin" does not deserve to be mentioned. Neither does "Breakin 2: Electric Bugaloo."

Sarah has two great ones: "Working Girl" and "Pretty in Pink."

I would add "Gladiator" to that, as well as the "Spiderman" films.

PIPER said...

What's with all the support for Titanic?

Working Girl is a good example, although I still really like that movie. And Pretty In Pink is good as well. But does that mean Sixteen Candles is Weathered and Tattered as well? Obviously a better movie than Pretty in Pink, but along the same lines.