Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Top 5 Tuesdays (T5T) Loves Owen


There has been a lot of reports about Owen Wilson as of late trying to tell us why he did what he did. I even stooped a bit to purchase the People magazine to find out about that 'dark side' that pushed him to attempt suicide. But the good news is, Owen seems to be on the mend. And early the word on the The Darjeeling Limited is that it is very good.

So let's send him some good mojo by providing our Top 5 Owen Wilson movies. It's not like there's a plethora of movies to choose from, which is just one more reason why he needs to get back out there. There are still lots of chances to make up for You, Me and Dupree.

1. Bottle Rocket - His very first movie and still maybe his best. Dignan was fast, furious and out of control as the gangster wannabe.

2. The Royal Tenenbaums - Eli's drive to be another 'Tenenbaum genius' led him to a pretty twisted life. Looking back now, Eli's climactic ending seems a little less funny and a little more tragic.

3. Meet The Parents - You're supposed to hate Kevin Rawley because he is Pam's ex, but you can't help loving him as the perfect guy. Nice, successful and evidently great in the sack.

4. The Cable Guy - Just a few minutes of screen time, yet we hated him as Robin's date because he made our skin crawl with lines like "hey what's the story with our chicken, Man? Have the eggs had a chance to hatch yet?"

5. The Life Aquatic - Ned Plimpton was the perfect Southern Gentleman and provided a good Ying to Zissou's Yang.

Get well soon Owen, but don't go fixing that nose.

15 comments:

Sheamus the... said...

I love Bottle Rocket.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, let's see. I can really only think of 3 (that I've seen and that I've loved):

1. Zoolander - A no-brainer. His "dere-lick" line is classic.

2. Cable Guy - "Unbelievable...."

3. Rushmore - His tiny role gets me every time.

TALKING MOVIEzzz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PIPER said...

Pacheco,

For the life of me, I can't remember Owen Wilson in Rushmore. Help me out.

Moviezzz,

I have not seen The Big Bounce, but thought that it looked pretty fun.

Garrett Sorrels said...

I agree on Bottle Rockets and Royal Tenenbaums. Those are definitely my favorite two.
I would also have to put (3)Wedding Crashers on there. I really enjoy that movie, i know its childish but i think its fun and there are some great lines. (4) Shanghai Noon or knights, probably one of the only people who like those. And last would be (5)Cable Guy - I love the line "You're sexy, you heard me"

Anonymous said...

Piper,

I actually used to think Owen was the baseball coach, but that's his brother Andrew.

It's kind of stupid actually, but Owen is Edward Appleby, Rosemary's dead husband. I think he's only found in pictures, and they may not even be very visible (it's been a while since I've seen Rushmore). Like I said, stupid, but I like that kind of stuff. I'll take that over the real Owen Wilson in You, Me, and Dupree.

PIPER said...

Oh,

Like Kevin Costner playing the dead guy in The Big Chill.

Anonymous said...

By that reasoning, could I conclude that Owen Wilson = Kevin Costner? Or that Rushmore = The Big Chill?

Moviezzz, you can't go wrong with Harry Dean Stanton.

Anonymous said...

Owen is very likable, but I wouldn't say he's much of an ACTOR. He simply plays variants of the same character - himself.

www.therecshow.com

PIPER said...

Pacheco,

Rushmore will hold up much better than The Big Chill has.

Ray,

You're right about Owen. He plays himself over and over again. He just happens to be a very likable person.

Unknown said...

I have to admit, he was pretty great as Oscar in Armageddon. Aside from Bottle Rockets, it's probably my favorite of his roles.

Anonymous said...

@ dreamrot - Please don't ever use the words "great" and "Armageddon" in a sentece together again, unless you are referring to the actual God-oriented event from the book of Revelation.

Thank you for preserving the dignity of film.

www.therecshow.com

Anonymous said...

Bottle Rocket is awesome. I try and pimp that one to everyone I know. Sometimes when I have a bad day at work I try to convince myself that a paper route, soccer coaching, and (I can't remember the third joe job right now) would be enough to get me through.

Charlie said...

I LOVE him as Kevin in Meet the Parents. To me what makes him great is his ability to have such a minor role in a movie and basically steal the entire show.

The real tragedy is the fact that everyone LOVES seeing someone fall from grace. We love to live vicariously through these people and their characters they play on screen. Society has a tough time separating roles from reality. We all have our own demons. The difference is I can simply leave for a week and no one will give a fuck. Wilson, on the other hand, cannot. Believe me, I am not here to justify Hollywood type behavior as I think most of that crowd is a shallow as a Petri dish on a hot July day in Nevada. I do, however, think media and society at large love to love Hollywood when they are good and love them even more when they fuck up.

Gods Speed Owen.

Just my humble opinion!

EP

Anonymous said...

Anyone remember him in Minus Man? Creepy.