Friday, July 6, 2007

8 Things Movies


I am the slow fat kid, constantly out of breath and being tagged all the time.

I have been tagged by Jeff at Culture Snob with the 8 Things Meme.

Here are the rules:

  1. Players start with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
  2. People who are tagged write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.
  3. At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names. Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.
I have done the 8 Things Meme before, but this time it's going to be all about movies.

1. I might single-handedly be responsible for Sean Penn shooting Indian Runner in Plattsmouth, Nebraska. I was working at the Nebraska Film Commission in charge of sending out photos of locations in Nebraska when production companies had requests. Sean Penn had requested a 70's looking small town and I sent pictures of P-Town. Next thing I know, Sean Penn is sitting in the office of the Nebraska Film Commission.

2. While on production in L.A., I had dinner with the Executive Director of the Film Division of the production company Anonymous Content. We were shooting commercials with Anonymous at the time, and he was eating dinner with us for some reason or another. He had to continually excuse himself to take calls from Gore Verbinsky who was editing Pirates Of the Caribbean and saying it was going to be terrible.

3. I once worked at a video store named Entertainment Video. We were asked to wear bow ties and I refused.

4. My favorite movie candy is Sweet Tarts, which no one carries anymore. I have not found an equal.

5. In film school, I shot a three minute film on Super 8. The day before I was to turn it in, my dog chewed up all the film. I could honestly say that the dog ate my homework. My professor didn't think it was funny and gave me an 'F'.

6. In college I wrote a letter to John Carpenter asking why he favored the "trapped theme" in so many of his movies like Assault On Precinct 13, The Thing, Escape From New York and Prince Of Darkness. I am still waiting for a response.

7. I cried so hard during Million Dollar Baby that I told my wife I thought I was having my period.

8. My ultimate dream is to one day buy an old theater, serve Sweet Tarts and show my favorite movies.

The 8 Things Meme ends here. Tonight! I will not tag anyone else.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to own my own video rental place where I only carried good movies in widescreen.

Squish said...

Pretty sure that Sweet tarts can be had at Sugar Mountain...I could check for ya...
http://www.sugarmountain.ca/

Karen said...

Oh my god ... finally, someone else who loves Sweettarts!!!! YAY! And you're right, almost no one carries them anymore, especially movie theatres.

Damn that John Carpenter for not getting back to you. Uh oh. Did I just say that? Oh dear god, Please please forgive me oh mighty Carpenter, I know not what I say.

Anonymous said...

Sweet tarts are purty good, but I got to have Twizzlers or Milk Duds so I can spend the rest of the movie picking junk out of my teeth.

J.D. said...

I believe you were also tagged by JA...?

PIPER said...

Squish,

Sorry, meant to say I can't get any sweet tarts in movie theaters anymore. I can easily get them at the local Quik Trip.

Karen,

You were right to damn Carpenter. Why couldn't he write a simple fan.


J.D.

Yes I was tagged by JA and I responded with the post "you don't know me, dude."

What... are you my mother?

Anonymous said...

Aw, cool, Piper ... I have always wanted to run a movie theater. Mine would be different than the megaplexes currently ruining the landscape. I love older, ornate theaters - you feel like you're actually having an experience, rather than an amusement ride.

However, the place would have great sound.

We should open one together. Not much of a fan of Sweetarts, but I can make a mean chili dog.

J.D. said...

[shifts eyes back and forth]