Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Dardo Award

I love movies. But first and foremost, I'm an advertising guy. What does that mean to you?

Nothing really, but it might explain why I love awards so much.

There has been an award floating about. It is called the Premios Dardo Award. What a great, official name. I like it.

When I saw it making the rounds I said to myself "I want it. I must have it. And I might just kill to get it."

Jonathan Lapper at the most wonderful Cinema Styles was a recipient of it. He seems like a tall man in his posts, but I bet he's lanky. I think I could take him with a nice rusty bike chain.

Fox at the excellent Tractor Facts also received it. You probably don't know this, but Fox is allergic to peanuts. I just bring a bag of those little babies with me, pop them open, watch him swell and then grab the award. It's almost too easy.

Marilyn at the oh so fantastic Ferdy On Films is also a recipient. I don't dare mess with Marilyn.

But then something happened. Stacia at She Blogged By Night actually passed the award on to Lazy Eye Theatre. Turns out I don't have to kill at all, which is kind of disappointing really.



Here's what the Dardo recognizes.

"given for recognition of cultural, ethical, literary, and personal values transmitted in the form of creative and original writing. These stamps were created with the intention of promoting fraternization between bloggers, a way of showing affection and gratitude for work that adds value to the Web.

Of course I am honored. And of course I have built a little shelf that rests nicely on my shoulders and ties around my waist, but not too snug, that holds the Dardo award for all to see. I've even purchased a couple of spotlights to highlight it in all the right places.

Stacia and I crossed paths not too long ago. And I've been better for it. If you get a chance, stop by her digs and take a gander at her wares. You'll quickly discover why she's a big winner as well.

Anyway, here are the rules.

The rules:

1) Accept the award by posting it on your blog along with the name of the person that has granted the award and a link to his/her blog.

2) Pass the award to another five blogs that are worthy of this acknowledgment, remembering to contact each of them to let them know they have been selected for this award."

So I don't know that I will pass on five. That's not to say that five blogs aren't worthy. Hardly. And honestly, I debated for a while on whether I would even acknowledge this award because I would have to in turn pick some other blogs. Each blog that I frequent serves a different purpose for me, much like movies that I watch. They create moods and drum up different emotions. Some are short and sweet and some dig deep. Some are funny. Some are serious. It's really a wonderful thing, this film blogosphere.

But if I must pick, then I will pick.

1. Burbanked Alan and I take the same approach to writing about movies. It's not so much in writing reviews, but taking aim at a section of a movie. Or a trend in movies. To me film blogging isn't just about conveying thoughts, it's about creativity. And no one understands this more than Burbanked.

2. The Cooler I've recently discovered Jason at The Cooler and man I'm glad I did. Jason's reviews are wonderfully written and thought provoking. I usually skip a review if I haven't seen the movie, but when Jason writes it's about so much more than just the movie that I still find myself engaged. What's more, it's always a pleasure to have Jason weigh in on a subject. It always leads to great debate.

3. Fletch at the Large Association of Movie Blogs a.k.a The LAMB. What Fletch has done with this association still amazes me. It's more than just a network. It's a place to play. To participate. And to keep up with what's going on with everyone else. There are many that keep this thing going, including myself sometimes, but there would be no LAMB without Fletch. Just a few days ago, The LAMB introduced its 240th Film Blog. If you're interested in seeing the great wide film blogging world out there, you should join.

7 comments:

Burbanked said...

*blushes profoundly, causing cube-farm coworkers to assume all of the worst, most inappropriate kinds of circumstances that would cause such a visible physical reaction in the middle of the day*

Thanks, Piper. Kind words and a nifty trinket.

Fletch said...

I hold the keys the film blogging world in my pocket, actually. Occasionally, I play with them and every once in a while, I lose them. It's a heavy burden. But the keys are surprisingly light.

Many thanks, Piper.

PIPER said...

Megan,

Thanks

Burbanked and Fletch, do go swinging that thing about. It's a death object.

Stacia said...

Whoops, I accidentally stopped one of your killing sprees? Damn. I had a new outfit and my picnic basket packed and EVERYTHING.

PIPER said...

Stacia,

I'm sorry, I was really looking forward to my killing spree while you enjoyed a nice turkey sandwich on potato bread with freshly cut tomatoes with a little mayo and a nice mustard.

Jason Bellamy said...

I thanked you via e-mail, but, officially: thanks for the nod and especially the kind words.

Very much appreciated.

I've always thought of my reviews as the start of the conversation, not the end of one. So your comments are especially touching.

Glad to see you on The Cooler, and to read you here.

PIPER said...

"I've always thought of my reviews as the start of the conversation, not the end of one."

Great point Jason.