Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Some Non-Creepy Movie Creeps

What makes a creep a creep? The guys in the scary make-up have all the luck because most of their work is done for them. Seriously, Robert Englund and Tim Currey get loads of praise for their turns as scary guys, but how could you not be creepy in that make-up? No, I want to focus on the non-horror movie creeps. The guys and gals that get under your skin and set up shop for a few weeks. What makes the creeps creepy is because they're somewhat real. You've seen them around or know someone like them. Freddy Kruger is based on no one, he has no true identity other than what Wes Craven's imagination has created. Maybe it's based on someone he knows, but it's so specific to him, no one else can share in it. You can't say he reminds you of that creepy neighbor you had when you were growing up or that uncle no one ever liked. These are the real creeps. No scary make-up. Just stares that hang to long and dialogue that goes nowhere. Creeps that aren't in horror movies, but they creep just the same.


Judy Dench as Barbara Covett in Notes From A Scandal


When I was at school, if one of us had had some bad news or was a bit down, we used to stroke each other. You know, someone would do one arm and someone else the other. It was a wonderful sensation. Did you do that at your school?


Vincent Gallo in any movie he's ever starred in.


You know why they call you Goon? Because you're retarded. And you're ugly. You're an ugly retard. And they call you Goon because you're ugly and retarded. And you'll always be Goon... Goon, Goon, Goon. And that's what I'm gonna call you for the rest of your life, is Goon. Goon, Goon, Goon, Goon, okay? So fuck you.


Christopher Walken as Duane Hall in Annie Hall


Can I confess something? I tell you this as an artist,I think you'll understand. Sometimes when I'm driving... on the road at night... I see two headlights coming toward me. Fast. I have this sudden impulse to turn the wheel quickly, head-on into the oncoming car. I can anticipate the explosion. The sound of shattering glass. The... flames rising out of the flowing gasoline.


Peter Stormare as Gaear Grimsrud in Fargo


Where is Pancake's House. We stop at Pancake's House.


Teri Garr as Julie in After Hours


Hey Paul, do you like my hairdo? Then why don't you touch it?


Bill Paxton as Simon in True Lies


Let's face it. The 'Vette... gets 'em wet!


Philip Baker Hall as Floyd Gondolli in Boogie Nights


I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me. That's just something that I enjoy.


Will Patton as Scott Pritchard in No Way Out


I am tired of weakness! I am faced with a grave problem, and I intend to resolve it
quickly and cleanly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would add Philip Baker Hall as Jimmy Gator in "Magnolia" and Rhys Ifans as Jed in "Enduring Love".

Anonymous said...

Old-school creep: Bruce Dern's character in "The Cowboys" with John Wayne.

Creep as protagonist: Billy Bob Thornton in "Sling Blade."

SuperCreep as protagonist: Harvey Keitel in "Bad Lieutenant."