Cops. Sometimes they come in pairs, sometimes they work alone. And sometimes they work with dogs. Sometimes they're undercover, sometimes in full attire. Some are crooked and others are by the book. Some are crooked looking to get straight and some are so crooked they make the bad guys look good. Whatever you want to say about cops, they make for some damn fine cinema. So let's celebrate them and hope they read this before the next sobriety check comes around. Give me your top 5 cop movies. Here are mine in no particular order.
1. Hot Fuzz The more I see this film, the more it grows on me. A great spoof with gags around every corner and a little horror thrown in for good measure. What more could you ask for?
2. Die Hard The reluctant hero never looked so good as Bruce Willis. And Hanz may be one of the best baddies around.
3. Prince Of The City Treat Williams had an out of body experience during this film he was so good. To me this is the essential corrupt cop film.
4. Lethal Weapon 2 The first one was a thinking man's buddy cop film. The second one had a lot more fun.
5. The French Connection If I'm ever in some kind of playground game where we're picking cops to be on our team and it's my turn to choose and Popeye Doyle is available... I'm picking that salty sumbitch to be on my team.