Thursday, December 27, 2007

Wake me when it's over.

I saw "The Waterhorse" with the kids.

It's been compared to E.T. Well, I've seen E.T. I remember E.T. And this, my friends, was no E.T.

It's a story about a mythical water creature that grows from something that looks like a small dinosaur seal to something approaching the Lochness monster. At the center of the story, a shy boy who discovers the waterhorse takes care of it while it grows to epic proportions - without his dear old mum (A rather heavy Emily Watson) ever catching on.

Actually it's a pretty sweet movie but it just wouldn't end. Once the waterhorse traded the bathtub for the cove, I figured this thing was about done. But the shy kid had to ride the horse. You see, the kid was afraid of the water and now the waterhorse is taking him on the ride of his life. On the water. Beneath the water. Swelling music. Strings even. How cynical I've become.

I asked my seven-year-old daughter what she thought. "It's no E.T.," she said.

I still think The Incredibles is the best kid movie I've ever seen. What say you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dearest Piper, I am so very sorry to hear about this. I'm sure the experience was excruciating enough, so I will not torment you further.

Except to say that "The Incredibles," while brilliant, cannot be considered the best kids movie of all time. I think "Wizard of Oz" or "ET" are far better for kids ... The Incredibles felt just a tad too adult for me.

Of course, thanks to that damn court decree, I am not allowed to have children of my own.

PIPER said...

Ray,

This was all Brian. I'm not touching this sack of a movie for all the clamshells in Atlantis.

And Brian, I would agree that The Incredibles is damn near perfect. I could watch that movie endlessly. But I'm also a big fan of Willy Wonka.

brian said...

The Wizard of Oz is one of my all-time favorites. But I think The Flying Monkeys should have given that flick a PG-13 rating.

Megan said...

Go rent The Secret of Roan Inish.