Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Please pass the nutmeg


I have a proposal, and I know that to write this proposal is to create shockwaves the likes of which the spice world has never seen.

I propose that nutmeg become a condiment on every table in the world. As common as salt or pepper.

I will allow a brief pause for you to readjust your thinking.

I know this is radical spice thinking, but when you break it down it doesn't seem so radical at all.If you haven't tasted nutmeg before, it has a sweet and somewhat spicy taste. And of course as its name suggests, there's some nuttiness in there as well. But it's not so much how nutmeg tastes, it's what it does that makes it amazing. For one, it's good for digestion, which might suggest why it is a nice complement to eggnog year after year. It is also recommended for bad breath. And fevers. And headaches. Most of our nutmeg learnings come the Chinese who used it as an appetite stimulant, an anti-inflammatory agent, an anti-spasmodic and a carminative. And best of all, nutmeg has also been known to be an aphrodisiac.

Of course, there are drawbacks. Too much nutmeg may cause hallucinations.

So what do you say spice lovers? Dust off that old bottle of nutmeg and put it front and center on the table. Sprinkle some on your steak or dust it on your fries. Better yet, use it in your next soup. Its time nutmeg rose to the greatness it once saw in the twelfth century.

And as always, here's hoping you're having a spicy day.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you're playing with fire putting nutmeg squarely on the table as part of your regular condiments. You might as well just put big bowls of pot up there.

http://www.totse.com/en/drugs/psychedelics/162650.html

http://leda.lycaeum.org/?ID=5469

tsk, tsk lazy eye spice dealer... what are you trying to do to the unsuspecting public?

PIPER said...

Jeremy,

Maybe I just came into a large shipment of nutmeg and I'm looking to move some product. And maybe not.

Garrett Sorrels said...

This is a controversial topic, but I like that you have the courage to bring it to the table (pun intended)Ha!

I think within the next 5-10 years we'll start to see a resurgence of "Meg" (little inside spice joke) on dinner tables across the US.

Here's something I've never said out loud in my spice club, but what about Cumin coming to a dinner table near you? Are we ready for that yet?

* (asterisk) said...

I don't want anyone cumin on my table, but nutmeg is okay by me. In moderation, of course.

Burbanked said...

hold me, daddy. i'm scared and i don't understand what's happening.

PIPER said...

Cumin should stay in the dark in my opinion. I like it in my Chili but nowheres else. Plus it smells like body odor.

Burbanked,

Worry not, this is just temporary. Things will be back to normal next week.

Anonymous said...

Nutmeg - the OTHER brown spice!
This crazy plan of yours just... might... work.
I've tried nutmeg, but never inhaled, is that the point?

Anonymous said...

I hope from you to write more




__________________________________

Millionaire mind secrets , millionaire next door , making money online ideas , buy millionaire mind book , blog , market , new look business , millionaire articles , Million Dollar home page