Thursday, November 1, 2007

The Scariest List Ever

The tallies have been taken and the results are in at Shoot The Projectionist. According to lots and lots of film bloggers, the following list gives a lot of people the heebie jeebies. Like the nominated list, this final list represents a wide variety of tastes. I'm a bit surprised by The Ring and The Blair Witch Project especially since they made the list in lieu of some other great horror movies like Phantasm or Prince Of Darkness. I enjoyed The Ring very much, but it's hard for me to put it above the original and I didn't even include that on my final list. And as an experiment in horror, I thought The Blair Witch Project was very interesting, but I don't believe it holds up well. There was an initial "wow" factor to it, but once that was gone there wasn't much to it. And based on the final list, there are some movies I still haven't seen and I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it. They are Night Of The Hunter, Carnival Of Souls, Eyes Without A Face and The Haunting. There they are. Judge me if you must. Again, excellent job by Ed Hardy for putting this together. I think it's a great list.

I have marked the films I submitted in red.

31. The Bride Of Frankenstein
30. Aliens
29. Poltergeist
28. Seven
27. Night Of The Hunter
26. Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers (1956)
25. Carnival Of Souls
24. Carrie
23. The Ring
22. Tie between Eraserhead and The Fly (1986)
21. The Brood
20. Rosemary's Baby
19. 28 Days Later
18. Tie between The Wicker Man (1973) and Eyes Without A Face
17. Tie between Nosferatu (1922) and The Descent
16. The Evil Dead
15. The Blair Witch Project
14. The Haunting (1963)
13. Don't Look Now
12. Suspiria
11. The Birds
10. Jaws
9. Dawn Of The Dead (1978)
8. The Thing
7. Alien
6. The Exorcist
5. Psycho
4. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
3. Halloween
2. Night Of The Living Dead (1968)
1. The Shining

5 comments:

Adam Ross said...

Last week I saw Carnival of Souls and Eyes Without a Face for the first time, and they both deserve all the hype. Eyes Without a Face has my new favorite horror score.

Shannon the Movie Moxie said...

Great post & choices there! From the short list of nominations I had only seen about 1/3 of them, I think some films rated higher for that reason - more people had seen them. I am hoping to change that by next year at this time, starting with seeing Eyes Without A Face this weekend.

PIPER said...

Shannon,

Thanks

I too need to see Eyes Without A Face among a few others.

PIPER said...

Adam,

I'm glad to hear that those movies hold up so well. I'm excited to see them. Especially Carnival of Souls because I've read so many good things about it including what a huge influence it has had with Lynch.

TALKING MOVIEzzz said...

CARNIVAL is indeed a good one.

Not a terrible list.

I might argue with a few (THE DESCENT? Really? and does anyone really care about BLAIR WITCH anymore?).

I'd put NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD at the top, NOSFERATU close behind.

Geez, I'm not much of a horror fan, so didn't follow the contest, but maybe I should have. EYES and THE HAUNTING are the only two I haven't seen.