Thursday, August 28, 2008

AN ADDENUM TO THE POST BELOW

Yesterday, we discussed how the guy from Amelie (h/t to Fletch) got all rabid mad because Fox cut at least fifteen minutes from his movie Babylon A.D.

Well, today, the guys at Worstpreviews.com posted an article entitled "Is Fox Destroying Our Favorite Movies?". Though many of you would like to think that they are referring to me (flattering as that would be...), no, they are talking about 20th Century Fox and the way they've been meddling in some of their in-production films.

---
In just the last couple of days, I have heard numerous directors and lots of fans complain about 20th Century Fox and the way they deal with some of their upcoming movies.

First, there was Watchmen The studio announced that Warner Bros did not have the rights to make the movie and as a result they will do everything in their power to sue, win and then simply throw the movie away.

Then, there was X-Men Origins : Wolverine. Director Gavin Hood had a big set built for a scene which he requested to look "dark, dinghy and somber." After being away from his newly designed set for a few days, he returns to find it completely repainted on orders from Fox co-chairman and CEO Tom Rothman. The now different set became brighter and less depressing. The source says that he was utterly surprised to see what has happened. But it is nothing new from Rothman. (worstpreviews)
---

I guess we could have the argument over what is "meddling", since Fox owns the pictures and can do what they want, but I was more interested in how "Our" favorite movies have become The Watchmen, Babylon A.D., X-Men Origins : Wolverine, and Silver Surfer. If you ask me, the chickens have come home to roost.

Though there is plenty of scorn to be placed on Hollywood studios, like Fox, for butchering and wrestling creativity away from directors, let's be sure to look at ourselves in the mirror as well. Gone are the days of Selznick and Mayer. Today, faceless studio heads just follow the profit margin. It's basic supply and demand, baby. They're just giving us X-Men Origins : Wolverine (I mean, seriously, stop with it already!!) because that's what we want.

This is not only another example of how our standards have lowered, but a glaring result of it.

2 comments:

Bob Turnbull said...

Nicely put Fox...I was wondering how these titles could be "our favourite movies" when they HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN RELEASED YET!

Geez.

Greg said...

They sure aren't my favorite movies, unless favorite has another meaning I'm unaware of. I wonder what they think my favorite foods are? Oh wait a minute, I forgot, I have a tv so I already know the answer to that. They think Big Macs are my favorite food.