It occurred to me yesterday that Zodiac got blanked at this years Oscars and damn if that didn't make me angry. Of course by including it, the overall awards race is pretty grim, filled with Sweeney Todd's and Anton Chigurhs and the Zodiac killer, but that's not how we should look at it, right? We should look at it as what were the best pictures of the year. And I would argue that Zodiac would be/should be among them. So give me your Top 5 reasons Zodiac should have been included in this years Oscar race.
Here are mine.
1. David Fincher shows us his most mature direction yet.
2. Robert Downey's journey from flamboyant reporter to washed-up alcoholic is brilliant.
3. The writing of Jame's Vanderbilt and Robert Graysmith shows us that great storytelling does still exist.
4. The supporting cast of Mark Ruffalo, Jake Gyllenhaal, Chloe Sevigny, Brian Cox and John Carroll Lynch rivals the cast of No Country For Old Men.
5. Jason Reitman as best director nominee.